WHAT IS THE CROSSFIT OPEN?
The Open is comprised of five workouts over five weeks, and it starts with 20.1. Open workouts are identified by their year and the order in which they appear. The workouts will be released every Thursday during the five weeks of the Open, and you can watch the live announcement of the workout that will be streamed on the CrossFit Games website.
The announcement will take place at a different location each week, and two athletes (or more) will perform the workout live. After the workout is released, any athlete who has registered for the Open will have until 5 p.m. PT on the following Monday to submit their best score online.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE CROSSFIT OPEN?
The Open is the first qualifying stage of the CrossFit Games. Any athlete who wants to compete at the Games must first make it through the Open in their region.
While the purpose of the Open is to find the fittest athletes in each region to move on to the regionals, it’s also an opportunity for any athlete at any level to participate in the competition. It can add meaning and purpose to your training while also bringing your gym’s community closer together. (As a rule of thumb, the Open is the time of year where we see many people achieve important firsts: bodyweight snatch, muscle-ups, toes-to-bars, handstand push-ups, double-unders, etc.)
Most importantly, the Open will also give you some interesting data on your performance in the gym, which can be a guide for setting realistic goals for the following year.
TOP TIPS FOR THE OPEN
- Put extra focus on cleaning up your diet and fuel your body for performance (Calories that match expenditure, not deficit or surplus).⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Dial the intensity up as the volume of training drops, especially on the Whiteboard workouts. Prepare and go all in!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Keep on top of any niggles and keep them at bay for now. You may have to work through some aches and pains through the open so limiting anything building up now will pay dividends.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Get to bed that little bit earlier if possible, an extra hour per night is an extra full nights sleep by the end of the week!
- Look after your hands. You don’t want any rips at this stage!⠀
- If possible, plan your weekends during the Open. If you really want to focus on your performance then try limit any nights out, competitions or trips away that might make completing a workout a stressful ordeal.
- Focus on your capabilities, not those around you.
Follow the JST Compete Programme - http://www.jstcompete.com/