National Fitness Day, 25th September 2019, is a chance to highlight the role physical activity plays across the UK, helping us raise awareness of its importance in helping us lead healthier and active lifestyles.
National Fitness Day sees a huge range of activity options enjoyed by participants of all ages, such as, yoga and pilates classes, treadmill challenges, high-street HIIT classes, dance-offs, mass walks and many more.
Exercise is an essential part of our day-to-day lives, whatever your age, there's strong scientific and physical evidence that being physically active can help you lead a healthier and happier life.
- It stimulates the development of the muscles, bones and joints, as well as the heart and lungs
- It helps children maintain a healthy weight
- It gives them an opportunity to interact with other people and make friends
- It can help young people manage symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Improves your muscular and cardio-respiratory fitness
- Reduces your risk of high blood pressure (hypertension), coronary heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and some cancers
- Helps manage your weight and reduces your risk of becoming obese
- Reduces anxiety and depression, and helps prevent other mental health problems
- Boosts your mood and well-being